How to do a Perfect Deadlift?
Meaning: Deadlifts simply means, to pick up a dead weight or dead load from the ground. Generally, deadlifts are called the king of exercises. The deadlift is a major strength and muscle building compound exercise and is performed by the majority of athletes. It is one of the Big Three exercises, the others being, bench-press and squats. In this article how to do a perfect deadlift, we would see the benefits, perfect form and technique, muscles targeted and cautions to be taken while performing a deadlift.
- An excellent exercise to increase the overall strength of the body
- Best mass building exercise
- Improves body posture and burns fat
- It improves the stability and strength of the core
- No need for lifting heavy always, this exercise is equally beneficial when executed with light and moderate weights.
- Its one of the best functional movement, hence deadlift make you strong for real-life chores.
External Oblique, Rectus Abdominals, Flexer Digitorum, Splenius Capitis, Levator Scapulae, Trapezius, Gluteus Maximun, Rectus Femoris, Vastus Lateralis, Vastus Medialis, Biceps Femoris short and long head, Teres Major, Rhomboid Major, Latissimus dorsi, Semi Tendinosus, Semi Membranosus, Serratus Posterior Inferior, Spinalis Thoracis
- Stand straight, feet’s near the barbell, toes pointing outwards and feet’s placed shoulder-width apart
- Grip the bar with an overhand grip slightly apart from the shoulder line. You can also use a mix grip i.e over – underhand grip.
- Inhale and tighten your core and lift the bar from the ground with your back straight and keep it as near to your shins as possible, while lifting the bar straightening your legs. Hold your breath during this entire lift.
- When the bar reaches near your knees, erect the upper body while straightening your legs and stand straight holding the bar tightly without loosening your grip and exhale.
- Holding the bar in an erect position for 2 seconds return to your starting position slowly without rounding the back.
- Remember to keep your back straight throughout the movement.
- You can use a mixed grip i.e. is overhand and underhand while lifting heavy.
- Place the feet at different width for the variations.
- This exercise using dumbbells, kettle-bell, theraband, and resistance bands
- You can perform this exercise on a smith machine
- You should Never round the back while performing this exercise
- One should always wear a weightlifting belt
- One should always ask a training partner or a spotter while lifting heavy.
Different Types of Deadlifts
Tips to Improve Deadlift:
- Not only deadlift but any heavy lifting exercise you are doing, it is very important to create a block when you are lifting heavy. Creating a block means avoiding vertebral flexion; which simply means not to round the back while lifting heavy.
- This can be done by filling the lungs with air while lifting, contracting the abdominal muscle and lower back muscles.
It is important to understand that deadlift is no doubt the best compound exercise to develop overall strength, however, if performed wrongly it may cause serious injury. The best way to start the deadlift for beginners is to get feedback from a trainer or someone who is good at doing Deadlift with proper form. Someone who can Deadlift at least 100 to 120 KGs without injury. You should observe and learn from someone who wasn’t born strong but has worked hard to improve his Deadlifts.